Monday 7 April 2014

Go… the people of South Sudan need you.

I was meeting with Hakili, MAF’s auditor, discussing the re-structuring of MAF in Tanzania and the reasons for it. Hakili has been our auditor for 5 years and was very happy for MAF to have served in his country for over 50 years. Being new to MAF and also Tanzania I was choosing my words carefully, as I certainly didn’t want to create any cultural bloopers in my first week! During our discussions however, Hakili expressed the opinion: “Go, the people of South Sudan need you, we have enough in Tanzania, the people in South Sudan are suffering terribly, they need you.”

As I reflected afterwards, this generosity of spirit shocked and challenged me. I was reminded of Paul’s letter to the Philippians 4:12 “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” Tanzania could hardly be described as a rich country but I was encouraged by my brother’s warm and generous spirit to his neighbours in the newly birthed country north of Tanzania.

This was one moment in my first week in the job flying solo; all the staff have been patient, and helpful settling us in both to our new home here Dodoma and the work. You have probably read elsewhere the programme has recently gone through a consultation process to evaluate and re-focus its mission to the tribes-people in the distant and hard-to-get-to parts of Tanzania. Although reducing its presence in Tanzania MAF will continue with medical safaris and providing transportation services to pastors and evangelists in these areas.

I can see that the role is certainly going to be challenging with 83 staff and millions of pounds worth of assets to re-shape so that vital resources can be re-directed to those parts of Africa that are in crisis and need MAF in particular. I took hope in the fact that a Tanzanian was convinced that there were people in other parts of the world who also needed to know that Jesus is coming….my prayer is that Christians in Europe would also adopt that same conviction… whatever their circumstances.


Jez working in the 'home' office/guest room


Carina sat in our 'conservatory'

No comments:

Post a Comment